Since the start of COVID-19 season in Grand Rapids four months ago, I had given up all hopes of being able to enjoy a big-screen movie, much less attend a live concert experience.
Well, due to the innovative thinking of the Studio C folks at Studio Park
comes a solution that, while it may not be what we had prior the arrival of COVID-19, this new program indeed is a good first step forward as it offers those starved for a cinema or music experience something truly worth celebrating.
In downtown Grand Rapids on the expansive piazza at Studio Park are two new entertainment programs with the first, Sunset Cinema, debuting on Wednesday, July 15 followed by the Listening Lawn concert series on Thursday, July 23.
Starting with The Beatles “Yellow Submarine” and then each Wednesday night, Studio Park will be screening movies on the piazza, which at press time include “Baby Driver” on July 22 and “Parasite” on July 29. The lawn opens at 6 pm; movies will begin at 8 p.m. with a ticket price of $5.00 per person. All movies will be open captioned for maximum accessibility. We can expect more dates and films to be announced in the coming weeks should this film series prove to be a hit, and I truly hope they are since the cinema experience was meant to be enjoyed together.
Fans of live music will enjoy the care and attention that Studio Park’s Listening Room team has taken in the curation of the Listening Lawn concert series dedicated to showcasing our local, regional, and national musicians.
On Thursday, July 23, Luke Winslow-King will kick off the series with a thrilling blend of Mississippi delta blues, folk, roots, and rock n’ roll enjoyed under the summer night’s sky. And while more dates are expected to be offered in the future, music fans are encouraged to snap up tickets quickly for Asamu Johnson & The Associates of the Blues who arrive on Thursday, July 30 at Studio Park’s lawn. Just as with the cinema series, Studio C’s lawn opens at 6 p.m. with the live performance beginning at 8 p.m. Ticket prices may vary based on the act.
And we understand that many may folks have concerns about attending such an event, so we are reprinting the guidelines in their entirety as shared with us to minimize any confusion but also so that each attendee is aware of the conditions for entry and attendance:
- Most significantly, physical distancing measures will require a minimum purchase of four tickets, which will reserve a section of the lawn for a grouping of up to four people. Guests are welcome to come in smaller groups but will need to purchase the entirety of the space. Each group will be spaced at least six feet from other guests. The total capacity of the space will be limited to the most recent state guidelines.
- Studio C staff will wear personal protective gear, including face masks. Sunset Cinema and Listening Lawn guests are asked to bring a mask to wear while moving about, though they are welcome to remove them while seated.
- Piazza dinners, appetizers, movie treats, and an outdoor cash bar will be available through One Twenty Three Tavern. Other onsite restaurants include Leo’s Coney Island, Malamiah Juice Bar & Eatery. and the soon-to-be-open Pumphouse Frozen Yogurt. No outside drinks permitted.
- Customers are required to pre-purchase tickets online. Tickets for Sunset Cinema can be secured at celebrationcinema.com or via the Celebration Cinema app. Tickets for Listening Lawn concerts can be secured at listeningroomgr.com starting next week. Standard online convenience fees are being waived for both of these series.
- Guests are asked to bring their own chairs. Height restrictions do apply and blankets are discouraged.
- A full list of details can be found at studioparkgr.com/piazza-faq
We at Rapid Growth are very excited to see this level of innovation from a family of locals who have always celebrated our community with awards for providing good service throughout West Michigan. In this time of great shifts, it is a delight to see the Loeks family once again delivering on the promise of good service in how they continue to bring us the very best in entertainment for our city's enjoyment.